Dust off those denims ‘n boots. Bangalow BBQ & Bluegrass Festival is celebrating its third annual not-for-profit community event, with authentic local food, music and old-time entertainment in the heart of Byron Bay hinterland, Friday 19 and Saturday 20 August.
An Old Time Variety Show (MA15+) kicks-off on Friday night at the Bangalow A&I Hall from 6-10pm, followed by a stellar Saturday line-up of Bluegrass musicians, a BBQ cook-off, a Pickers competition and family friendly entertainment at the Bangalow Showgrounds.
- BBQ Cook-Off – $1,500 first prize in this Australasian BBQ Alliance-accredited competition. This will see amateurs, chefs and professionals competing for their chance to win.
- A Pickers Comp – $250 first prize for pickers of the guitar, banjo, mandolin, or fiddle.
- Games for the Kids – $2 each hosted by local schools to assist in raising money to fund arts in schools programs.
The Saturday Bluegrass line-up features:
- Bluegrass 5 piece The Stetson Family who’s high lonesome country-folk, reached US chart status with ‘tales of love gone wrong, snake-handling preachers and wandering down life’s crooked highway’.
- Known for their breezy, sunshine-filled hillbilly harmonies of death, and for their strong affiliation to public radio, firearms and printing, The Cartridge Family bring their three-part harmonies and two-part jokes to town.
- Kick yer shoes off, put yer hoe down, & hang on to yer britches with 2016 Golden Guitar Nominees for Bluegrass single of the year The Hillbilly Goats.
Thirsty? Six local craft beers on tap, and wine, including: Stone & Wood Pacific and Garden Ale, Beard & Brau Red Tail Amber Ale and Margot Pale Ale, Moonshine Coffee Cherry Ale, and Top Shed Cream Ale.
And Food! Taste some of the best low ‘n slow smoked meats around, with some old favourites:
- Bangalow Historical Society serving traditional scones cream and jam
- Grumpy’s Ginger Beer and Moovin Juice for cold refreshing drinks
- Moonshine Coffee and Bangalow Coffee Company for a hot cuppa
- Classic Kettle Corn to enjoy with the music lineup
- Memphis-style dry rub bar-b-cue ribs from the local area Bangalow BBQ Ribs team.
So hoot ‘n scoot on down to Bangalow for a weekend of great music and sheer good ‘ole fashioned fun.
Tickets on sale now at Eventbrite *
Photo credit: Lyn McCarthy