Home Community Travel Spirit of Rishikesh

Spirit of Rishikesh

IMG_9708-1024x683
From the moment I arrived India, I knew I was in for a treat. With only one month to play with, I spent my time learning to teach yoga in Northern India in a little village widely known for its holistic expertise and spiritual pull. Rishikesh lies at the foothills of the breathtaking Himalayas and is commonly known as the ‘gateway to the holy Ganges River” or ‘birthplace of Yoga’.

According to Lonely Planet, ever since the Beatles rocked up at the ashram of the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in the late ‘60s, Rishikesh has been a magnet for spiritual seekers. Visiting the abandoned ‘Beatles’ ashram turned Tiger Sanctuary was a highlight of my experience. The artistic graffiti covered buildings are a photographer’s playground!

I was lucky enough to reside right on the stunning Ganges in Ram Jhula (Rishikesh region where all the ashrams are located). I miss those dreamy sunrises meditating on my balcony overlooking the river!

Days in Rishikesh were filled with yoga, cafe crawling, artisan market shopping, swimming in the river, white water rafting, exploring & sipping superb Indian chai (my favourite was with coconut milk!).

One of the many reasons I love Rishikesh is for all the funky vegetarian cafes and restaurants. Ain’t no McDonalds here. People from all over the world sit for hours playing music, laughing, making jewellery and spreading contagious happiness. These people may have met years ago or only an hour ago, with the vibrant energy filling the room its hard to tell the difference.

Each evening as the sun sets and the orange sky reflects beautifully down onto the Ganges; hippies, musicians, locals, backpackers, cows, monkeys, cats, dogs, and whoever else is around all gather to dance to a random band of bongo drums, guitars and Indian flutes.

There truly is a special energy flowing through Rishikesh I haven’t experienced anywhere else and doubt I ever will. Here’s a sneak peak…

For more images click here: http://wallflower-diaries.com/spirit-rishikesh/

IMG_0083-1024x683 IMG_9336-1024x683 IMG_9347-1024x683 IMG_9349-1024x683 IMG_9381-1024x683 IMG_9393-1024x683 IMG_9394-1024x683 IMG_9403-1024x683 IMG_9405-1024x683 IMG_9414-1024x683 IMG_9420-1024x683 IMG_9426-1024x683 IMG_9429-1024x683 IMG_9444-1024x683 IMG_9490-1024x683 IMG_9545-1024x683 IMG_9698-1024x683

My name is Sarah, I’m a 20 something year old country girl from Australia with an open mind & a heart full of wanderlust. Introverted social butterfly with uncontrollable itchy feet is me in a nutshell. Like many others, I spent years daydreaming about jet setting around the world; learning and experiencing different cultures and walks of life, attending Yoga classes and health retreats whenever I pleased, diving and surfing the Earths most beautiful oceans, and meeting interesting like minded individuals to share the memories with. A freedom lifestyle with no fixed address. After completing 3 years of a university degree not perfect for me and working long hours in the hospitality industry, I nervously quit my ‘normal’ job to travel the world and haven’t looked back since. My vision is to explore the world, to work a job I’m passionate about, to spend quality time with the friends and family, and when the time comes and I have children, to have the time to spend time with them and watch them grow. Here I am, just got back from visiting the ancient Burmese temples of Bagan, with 37 countries under my travel belt and the happiest I’ve ever been. I’ve created http://www.wallflower-diaries.com/ to share my travel tips, globetrotting photographs and experiences from around the world, and in hope of inspiring others to do the same.

SIMILAR ARTICLES

Because we love road trips we thought we would start documenting and sharing some of our favourites. For the first, we headed west over...

I thought it was going to be weird coming home from another year abroad. 2016 has been a complete whirlwind of unexpected amazingness and self discovery....

In late September, I finally found myself in India, wandering the streets of Kolkata and Mumbai; camera at the ready, getting to know people...

Singapore is like a second home to me. I have lost count of all the times I’ve stayed in Little India on my way...