Home Community Travel ICE

ICE

Processed with VSCOcam with p5 preset

A B O U T ~ S H A R N I

Sharni Honor, lover of music, frolicker in all places coastal, collector of shirts, fancier of wine things and enthusiast of adventures in her own backyard. A big believer of working hard at doing something you love and spending your days in places that inspire you. Between some glorious long-term stints over the seas and in mountains far from Adelaide, she runs a series of traveling music festivals in suburban gardens throughout the summertime. And in the winter, it’s time to explore, with all but few key objectives;

Travel simply.

Live creatively.

Exist well.

Walter Mitty ~ Iceland 2015

When I started this little piece, it began as a creamy recount of the isolate adventure that was: 2 weeks, 3 best friends, 1 tiny car and a big ol’ journey that saw Iceland in all of its untouched beauty. One ring route that connects the entirety of the country, one single road that traverses mountains, crosses waterfalls and envelopes glaciers. One strip of bitumen dotted with hot springs, wild horses and the most quaint and cultured of towns. As time passed and words fell from my fingertips, this recount became less of a series of events and more of a little tale of what this two week period taught me about being. And quite possibly, how I’d like to see my own being, exist for the next number of minutes, hours and years that I plan on being alive for.

Safe to say, Iceland has a pretty nice home in my heart, and maybe it was just timing, or sheer luck, but something about that spectacularly peculiar little country changed the way I was wired.

It was two weeks in the company of the two greatest souls I know, we picked a direction from the countries capital, Reykjavik and drove, in our tiny gold car with all but one Elvis Presley CD on a twenty song rotation. We stopped when we were inspired by the scenery, we cooked meals in our favorite locations: porridge oats on glacier, stir fry on cliff tops and peppermint tea beneath rainbows, the only place in the world where I’ve seen both pots of gold.

We’d clean our bodies in hot springs dotted along the route, and we’d pitch our little tent when our eyes grew heavy, wild camping in fields, on mountains, and in valleys. The days were simple, the company second-to-none and the scenery breathtaking.

Sure,

I can see the romance of being lost in a big city, beneath the hustle and bustle of streetlights and strangers. But there is little more than sheer curiosity to tempt an insight into how these lives are lived. So rather than traveling to be surrounded, I prefer to travel to be removed. To find the edges of the earth To be humbled and awestricken by nature. I believe that there is great merit in finding beauty in simplicity.

And for me I believe that there is great merit in finding beauty in simplicity And for me there is nothing more simple than being outside. A tiny collection of atoms beneath a landscape of a thousand more that combine and collaborate to form something beautiful beyond measure.

A wise old pal recently reminded me – you’re born with nothing and you die with nothing, so what the hell are slaving for if not to exist, and exist damn well!

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset

Processed with VSCOcam with b5 preset

Processed with VSCOcam with t1 preset

Processed with VSCOcam with m5 preset

My name is Sarah, I’m a 20 something year old country girl from Australia with an open mind & a heart full of wanderlust. Introverted social butterfly with uncontrollable itchy feet is me in a nutshell. Like many others, I spent years daydreaming about jet setting around the world; learning and experiencing different cultures and walks of life, attending Yoga classes and health retreats whenever I pleased, diving and surfing the Earths most beautiful oceans, and meeting interesting like minded individuals to share the memories with. A freedom lifestyle with no fixed address. After completing 3 years of a university degree not perfect for me and working long hours in the hospitality industry, I nervously quit my ‘normal’ job to travel the world and haven’t looked back since. My vision is to explore the world, to work a job I’m passionate about, to spend quality time with the friends and family, and when the time comes and I have children, to have the time to spend time with them and watch them grow. Here I am, just got back from visiting the ancient Burmese temples of Bagan, with 37 countries under my travel belt and the happiest I’ve ever been. I’ve created http://www.wallflower-diaries.com/ to share my travel tips, globetrotting photographs and experiences from around the world, and in hope of inspiring others to do the same.

SIMILAR ARTICLES

Because we love road trips we thought we would start documenting and sharing some of our favourites. For the first, we headed west over...

I thought it was going to be weird coming home from another year abroad. 2016 has been a complete whirlwind of unexpected amazingness and self discovery....

In late September, I finally found myself in India, wandering the streets of Kolkata and Mumbai; camera at the ready, getting to know people...

Singapore is like a second home to me. I have lost count of all the times I’ve stayed in Little India on my way...