Home Community Fashion VINTAGE SHOPPING GUIDE TO BYRON BAY AND BEYOND – PART ONE

VINTAGE SHOPPING GUIDE TO BYRON BAY AND BEYOND – PART ONE

A CURIOUS COLLECTIVE (no photo credit required)

Sarah from  Vintage Industries & Co has put together a vintage shopping guide to Byron Bay and beyond (Part 1). There is so much vintage goodness in the Far North of NSW that she couldn’t possibly fit everything into this one guide. So Part 2 is coming soon, including more places to eat, shop and play; vintage-style!

You can follow Sarah’s adventures by subscribing to her blog Vintage Industries & Co or following @vintage.industries.co on Instagram.
TWO ROADS VINTAGE – LISMORE VINTAGE

Located in a cute, old weatherboard shop in Lismore, this is where you need to go if you want to shop for vintage versions of the current boho fashion trends.

Shop here, and you’ll be the height of fashion from cute prairie dresses, leather tooled bags, knee-high boots, vintage groupie jeans, Stevie Nicks-worthy shawls and suede jackets. What I love, love, love about this shop is there is no crap and every item is in beautiful condition. You’ll struggle to leave this goldmine empty handed. I know I did.

Create a look that no one can follow, with this playful but perfectly curated collection. It’s a boho girls’ dream closet!

32 Zadoc St, Lismore NSW 2480
www.facebook.com/TwoRoadsVintage
www.instagram.com/TwoRoadsVintage
0419 662 3577

TWO ROADS VINTAGE (Credit Photo)

A CURIOUS COLLECTIVE – BRUNSWICK HEADS VINTAGE

I absolutely dig this shop. It’s run by a wonderful bunch of girlfriends who have the most stunning eye for vintage and styling. It really is a vintage lover’s paradise.

The friends behind A Curious Collective work hard to source beautiful individual vintage pieces, as well as reworking old pieces to give them a new life. Each item in their shop is lovingly selected, restored or handcrafted. From armchairs recovered in French linen to crucifixes made from reclaimed old hardwood to a beautiful selection of heirloom-quality silver and framed pictures.

Being a ‘collective’, there is a mix of styles, which I love. Everything is also reasonably priced and they’re currently working on setting up some regular events and workshops, so be sure to follow them on Instagram for more details.

7 Tweed Street, Brunswick Heads NSW 2483
www.instagram.com/acuriouscollective

Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 7.32.34 am

THE SHED (AND HARVEST CAFE) – NEWRYBAR VINTAGE

I love this shop/shed. All the items found here are timeless and beautiful. They only stock pieces that our children will actually want to inherit. Think huge wooden country dining tables, stainless steel topped work benches, butchers blocks and ornate steel gates.

All perfect for your country manor…And while you ponder that, pop across the road to Harvest Café for a morning latte and freshly baked croissant, smeared with homemade jam. The cafe is housed in an old weatherboard cottage, including a 100-year-old original bakery. Saturday morning bliss!

19 Old Pacific Hwy, Newrybar NSW 2479

www.theshednewrybar.com
0428 871 601

THE SHED (Credit Photo)

FABULOUS MRS FOX – BRUNSWICK HEADS VINTAGE

This store is otherworldly and unbelievably fabulous! From the ornate metal swans on the roof (they’re worth a visit alone!) to the unique selection of vintage and modern objects. Perfect for gift shopping, they stock an eclectic mix of new and vintage jewellery, women’s clothing, bags and hats.

Shopping for you? Don’t forget to head out to the back room, where you’ll find a vintage treasure trove of both fun and kitsch, as well as exquisite and one-of-a-kind pieces. Their judicious range will leave you wanting more! Like their vintage crystal chandelier ship (O.M.G.)! It was worth every cent (and if I had enough cents it would be hanging in my house as we speak).

10 Park Street, Brunswick Heads NSW 2483
www.fabulousmrsfox.com
02 6685 0020

FABULOUS MRS FOX (no photo credit required)

BRUNSWICK PICTURE HOUSE – BRUNSWICK HEADS VINTAGE

Some of my first memories come from this old theatre. At the age of seven, my mum took me to Puberty Blues, where I was made to lie down and promise to go to sleep – but watched the whole film through the chair cracks. This was also where I first saw (and fell madly and deeply in love with) the Rocky Horror Picture Show and Monty Python. And my best friend just reminded me this is where we first saw Grease too (Pink Ladies!!!!).

Originally built 75 years ago as a local movie house, the theatre was closed in 1986. Then in Easter 2016, this favourite Brunswick Heads hang-out was reopened. It’s a hidden gem and there is always something cool happening including screenings of art house flicks, old classics, live cabaret and comedy events. Not to mention an awesome garden cafe with a dog pit-stop (rows of water bowls for your thirsty bestie).

30 Fingal Street, Brunswick Heads NSW 2483
www.brunswickpicturehouse.com
02 6685 0153

BRUNSWICK PICTURE HOUSE (Credit Photo)

HEATH’S OLD WARES – BURRINGBAR VINTAGE

Originally in Bangalow, Heath’s Old Wares is now located in Burringbar, about 20 minutes north of Byron Bay. Is it worth the hilly, windy drive? Most definitely! They’ve amassed such a huge collection, that they out grew their Bangalow store and now have a HUGE shed – which is filled to the rafters with incredible vintage finds.

This place is always a breath of fresh (albeit dusty) air, with its extensive mix of salvaged architectural pieces, old wooden printer’s trays, industrial furniture, vintage wooden crates and a mind-blowing selection of old Singer sewing machines drawers. Heath’s Old Wares is like a big galvanised pirate chest loaded with treasure waiting to be discovered.

And be sure to ask for a copy of their Local Trail. It’s their little black book of local antiques, old wares, collectibles, secondhand and vintage shops.

19 – 21 Broadway, Burringbar NSW 2483
www.heathsoldwares.com.au
02 6677 1181

HEATH'S OLD WARES (no photo credit required)

MISS BROWN VINTAGE – BYRON BAY VINTAGE

This vintage shop is not to be missed if you’re visiting Byron Bay. It features high-quality, romantic, boho-style women’s clothes and accessories. From stellar vintage denim, tasselled jackets (plus vests and bags), leather boots, off-the-shoulder 1970’s dresses, vintage tees, huge sunglasses, leather belts and platform wedges.

Basically, if Led Zeppelin were female and a vintage clothing store, they’d be Miss Brown Vintage. If you’ve been there before, you’ll know what I mean. This is a very cool little vintage shop.

15 Fletcher St, Byron Bay NSW 2481
www.facebook.com/missbrownvintagebyronbay
0438 068 469

MISS BROWN VINTAGE (Credit Photo)

CARRINGTON BAZAAR – LISMORE VINTAGE

This is one of my all-time favourite vintage haunts and as the store’s name suggests this ‘bazaar’ houses a collective of different vintage dealers.

There are dealers selling worn-in rock ‘n roll tees and cowboy boots, religious artifacts, shabby chic furniture, French crystal chandeliers, industrial pigeon hole cupboards, reworked steampunk vintage clothes (they’re A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!) and rare vinyl, to name just a few of their goodies.

If you love your vintage – then you’ll love Carrington Bazaar. And on a side note, one of my favourite dealers is located here!!! Just look for the rosaries, crucifixes and beautiful displays…you can’t miss it! This dealer was also the cover girl (actually guy – Simon Robinson) of Country Style in March 2008 – which still sits proudly in my enormous pile of much-loved magazines.

172 Molesworth St, Lismore NSW 2480
www.facebook.com/Carrington-Bazaar-660261214024572
0416 225 376

CARRINGTON BAZAAR (Credit Photo)

LISMORE SKATING – LISMORE VINTAGE

Best. Date. Night! No seriously. If you’re keen to impress your date, take them here for a roller-boogie. This is a great old-school skate rink, complete with fog nights and disco lights.

They also hold regular events and they have a local girls’ roller derby team (Northern Rivers Roller Derby) – who look fabulous (and ferocious) all decked out in fishnets, skull shirts and killer skates. If you want to (re)create some disco heyday memories, then make sure you visit Lismore Skating rink.

21 Bridge Street, Lismore NSW 2480
www.skateputt.com.au
02 6621 6565

LISMORE SKATING (no photo credit required)

The Common Ground of Byron Bay. If you wish to contribute, please contact: Kirra Pendergast P: 0408 068 824 E: kirra@commongroundaustralia.com

SIMILAR ARTICLES

The fashion pack have banded together for a cause – well-known makeup artist Ashlea Penfold and her family. Byron based labels Spell & The Gypsy...

Based on the 90's super model - the Cindy, the Linda, the Naomi and the Kate - Mel Carrero transformed Nina into that 90's...

Where there’s a festival there’s fashion! The unavoidable side-effect to attending a festival is that people dress to impress, or just plain get attention. Walking...

A little taste of the CATGK X WITCHERY Family Series, shot recently in Byron Bay, featuring Film Director/Producer Taylor Steele and the intimate bond...